Auto insurance is essential for all Pennsylvania drivers. Not only is it a wise investment for drivers to make, but the law requires all drivers to carry a certain minimal amount of auto insurance coverage. Raynock & Associates LLC wants to help you understand what is required by law for drivers in the state and what your options are for full coverage insurance that may be necessary for your auto loan and your peace of mind.
Required Insurance Coverages in Pennsylvania
The state of Pennsylvania has identified certain types of auto insurance protection as mandatory. These protections are required for all drivers and carry stiff penalties for drivers caught driving without them.
- Medical Benefits- It provides protection for you and others covered by your policy regardless of who is at fault for the accident. You’re required to purchase $5,000 (at minimum) for this protection through higher limits available and is highly recommended.
- Bodily Injury Liability- If you are responsible for injuring someone else in an accident, this provides protection for their medical expenses. The minimum coverage limit required by law is $15,000 per person, with a maximum of $30,000 per accident. Once again, higher coverage amounts are available and encouraged.
- Property Damage Liability- It provides protection for drivers who damage the property of others in an accident. The minimum required coverage is $5,000 though more is encouraged.
- Limited or Full Tort Coverage- You have the option of limited or full tort protection. Limited tort protection allows you to save on premiums but limits your ability to sue for certain types of damages. Full tort coverage allows you to maintain your right to sue the other party without restrictions on your ability to do so.
These minimum requirements do little to protect your vehicle and property from damage in an accident. You’ll need additional coverage in the form of policies such as:
- Uninsured/Underinsured driver coverage.
- Comprehensive auto insurance.
- Collision insurance.
- Gap coverage (especially useful if you aren’t “above water” on your auto loan).
Raynock & Associates is here to help Pennsylvania drivers get the auto protection you need to drive with confidence and peace of mind. Call us today to learn more.